Every year, we carry hundreds of our passengers' four-legged friends, and we will be delighted to welcome yours, too! This section contains all the infor-mation you need to organize your animal's transportation in optimum fashion.
You must fulfill all conditions listed in the following form. This document must be signed and presented at the airport on the day of departure:
Only dogs and cats over three months of age are allowed on XL Airways flights. Other animals, whatev-er their size or species, are not permitted.
- Certain races of dogs and cats (Brachycephalic animals) suffer from a fragile respiratory system and are particularly sensitive to temperature variations and stress. For reasons of health and safety of the animal, XL Airways does not accept these breeds for transport in the hold. Their transport remains possible in the cabin up to a maximum acceptable weight of 7kg / 15 lbs (including the cage).
- In application of French Law No. 99.5 of 6 January 1999, carriage of Category 1 dogs (attack dogs) is forbidden regardless of the method of carriage (hold, freight or cabin). Category 2 dog breeds as outlined by the French Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry are not accepted either on our flights.
Category 1: attack dogs - They are dogs whose appearance is of American Staffordshire terrier (pit-bulls), Mastiff (boerbulls) and Tosa types (i.e. without pedigree).
Category 2: defence and guard dogs – They are dogs of American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, and Tosa breeds (i.e. with pedigree), and dogs of a Rottweiler type (without pedigree).
Quotas and availability
Our aircrafts are subject to quotas concerning the number of animals they can carry at any one time, please let us know that you intend to travel with your pet at the time of your reservation by calling our call center on 1-877-496-9889. If your tickets were purchased on our website or from your travel agent, an animal transport request must be submitted by calling our call center or contacting your travel agent. All reservations are subject to availability.
On flights operated on aircraft chartered by XL Airways, the carrying of animals may be limited or even prohibited.
To guarantee that you will be able to travel with your pet, make your reservation via our call centre, by calling 1-877-496-9889.
Carrying pets in the cabin
Odourless dogs and cats are permitted in the cabin, provided that their weight, combined with the weight of the cage or bag in which they will spend the flight, is less than 15 lbs / 7 kg.
They must travel in a closed soft bag that is approved for air travel or in a closed cage approved for air travel, the dimensions of which must not exceed 55 x 40 x 23 cm. When you arrive at the airport, your pet will be weighed in this con-tainer to check that it is within the maximum permissible weight. During the flight, your pet is your re-sponsibility, and must be kept in its container, which must be placed under your seat.
A fee of $55 / €50 per journey per animal is charged for travelling with an animal in the cabin.
Guide animals for the blind and partially-sighted are permitted in the cabin regardless of their weight. Such animals travel at their master's feet and are carried free of charge.
Carrying pets in the hold
If your animal weighs more than 15 lbs / 7 kg, it will travel in the hold, in a pressurized compartment with venti-lation and heating.
Animals may be carried in the hold subject to their being in a suitable cage, approved for air travel (ma-terials, closing mechanism). For further details, see Regulations and Conditions of Carriage.
A fee of $77 / €70 per journey per animal is charged for carrying an animal in the hold.
Conditions for transporting a dog or cat in the hold
To ensure that your pet has a comfortable journey, its travel cage must be properly aerated and be large enough to allow the animal to lie down, turn over and stand up (with its head upright). However, it must not be too large, so as to ensure that your pet is not harmed during handling of the cage.
A= length of animal from nose to root of tail
B= height from ground to elbow joint
C= width across shoulders
D= height of animal in standing position (top of head for pets with non-erect ears- from tip of ears for pets with erect ears)
The crate must be no bigger than 122 x 81 x 89 cm (L x W x H) and weigh no more than 110 lbs / 50 kg (gross weight, animal and crate included). Derogations can be granted at the discretion of XL Airways up to 165 lbs / 75 kg, animal and cage included.
- No more than one animal per cage.
- The travel cage must be approved for air travel, be able to withstand being dropped and have iron clos-ing mechanisms. Wooden cages (hardboard or plywood) and/or cages locked using a padlock are strictly prohibited for carrying pets.
- The following information must be visibly displayed inside the cage: the name of the animal, its tattoo number, the full name, telephone number, home address and destination address of the owner.
Reinforce all the corners of the cage so that the bars do not come loose. For this, you can use masking tape and tie-wraps (e.g. Colson) or hose clamps (e.g. Serflex), which are available in hardware stores.
If the crate does not meet the required standards, the animal will not be carried.
Animals other than dogs or cats
Only dogs and cats over four months of age are allowed on XL Airways flights. Other animals, whatev-er their size or species, are not permitted.
XL Airways France reserves the right to refuse to carry an animal if it considers that the safety of the animal, or that of persons or property, is not guaranteed.
The XL Airways France General Conditions of Carriage apply to your flight. You should read these conditions, which form an integral part of your contract of carriage.
- If you are travelling within the European Union: your pet's electronic chip will be recognized as its means of identification, unless your pet was tattooed before 3 July 2011 and its tattoo is clearly legible. An up-to-date vaccination record for your animal will be requested at check-in.
- For all journeys outside of the European Union, your animal must be tattooed and have a passport, an up-to-date vaccination record, a certificate of good health or any other entry/exit document required for the destination country.
You are responsible for obtaining and updating the documents pertaining to your animal. You will be asked to provide a liability waiver, as well as the veterinary certificates demanded by the countries from which, to which or through which you are travelling.
Contact the consulate of your destination country to find out about the documents needed for your ani-mal to enter the country (vaccinations, specific certificates, quarantine, any restrictions). Check what time your flight arrives at your destination airport. If you arrive late, at the weekend or on a public holi-day, the customs and veterinary services may be closed.