Every year, we carry hundreds of our passengers' four-legged friends, and we will be delighted to welcome yours, too! This section contains all the infor-mation you need to organize your animal's transportation in optimum fashion.
The XL Airways France General Conditions of Carriage apply to your flight. You should read these conditions, which form an integral part of your contract of carriage. For further details, see here General Conditions of Carriage.
Only dogs and cats over three months of age are allowed on XL Airways flights, in the cabin or in the hold, subject to weight, size, breed and availability (request information directly from the Carrier before purchasing a ticket).
Other animals, whatever their size or species, are not permitted.
- Certain races of dogs and cats (Brachycephalic animals) suffer from a fragile respiratory system and are particularly sensitive to temperature variations and stress. For reasons of health and safety of the animal, XL Airways does not accept these breeds for transport in the hold. Their transport remains possible in the cabin under respect special conditions of weight and size (maximum acceptable weight of 7kg/15 lbs - including the cage).
To know the list of prohibited dogs or cats, please consult this page :
- In application of French Law (No. 99.5 of 6 January 1999), carriage of Category 1 dogs (attack dogs) and/or Category 2 (defence and guard dogs) is forbidden regardless of the method of carriage (hold, freight or cabin).
Category 1: attack dogs - They are dogs whose appearance is of American Staffordshire terrier (pit-bulls), Mastiff (boerbulls) and Tosa types (i.e. without pedigree).
Category 2: defence and guard dogs – They are dogs of American Staffordshire terrier, Rottweiler, and Tosa breeds (i.e. with pedigree), and dogs of a Rottweiler type (without pedigree). (Category 2 as defined by the French Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry at the following link : www.agriculture.gouv.fr).
Caution: these lists are given for information only and are not exhaustive. XL Airways France reserves the right to refuse to carry an animal if it considers that the safety of the animal, or that of persons or property, is not guaranteed.
Quotas and availability
For safety reasons, our aircrafts are subject to quotas concerning the number of animals they can carry at any one time, please let us know that you intend to travel with your pet at the time of your reservation by calling our call center on 0 892 692 123 (€0.35/mn + cost of a local call). If your tickets were purchased on our website or from your travel agent, an animal transport request must be submitted by calling our call center or contacting your travel agent. All reservations are subject to availability.
On flights operated on aircraft chartered by XL Airways, the carrying of animals may be limited or even prohibited.
To guarantee that you will be able to travel with your pet, make your reservation via our call centre, by calling 0 892 692 123 (€0.35/mn + cost of a local call).
Identification and vaccination
You are responsible for obtaining and updating the documents pertaining to your animal :
- The vaccination certificate (it its the responsibility of the Passenger to inquire with the competent authorities to know all required vaccines) ;
- The animal’s passeport ;
- The certificate of good health (which must be less than five (5) days old at the scheduled date of flight) ;
- Any other entry/exit document for the territory of the final destination (contact the consulate of your destination country to find out about the documents needed for your animal to enter the country).
If the flight exceeds 8 hours, the Passenger must notify the Carrier at least 48 hours before the flight so as to address a certificate from the veterinarian attesting that the animal will not need to relieve itself or will be able to relieve itslef without causing health issues.
You will be asked to provide a liability waiver, as well as the veterinary certificates demanded by the countries from which, to which or through which you are travelling.
- Beware, according to the rules which came into force on July 3, 2011, only the microchip is recognized as a means of identification for travels within the European Union (French Overseas territorial departments included), except for animal identified by tattoo before this date, and provided it is clearly ligible. For trips outside European Union, the animal must be identifiable by a microship or a clearly legible tattoo. These rules must first be consulted directly on the French Ministry of Agriculture, Fodd, Fisheries, Rural Affairs and Territorial Development website at the following link : http://www.agriculture.gouv.fr/animaux-de-compagnie.
For service animal or of emotional or psychiatric support, additional documents will request. Please consult the section about that.
If you have a connecting flight, it is recommended to plan additional time to complete the formalities necessary for the admission of the animal. If you arrive late, at the weekend or on a public holi-day, the customs and veterinary services may be closed.
Carrying pets in the cabin
A fee of $58 / €50 per journey per animal is charged for travelling with an animal in the cabin.
Only odourless dogs and cats are permitted in the cabin, provided that their weight, combined with the weight of the cage or bag in which they will spend the flight, is less than 7kg/15 lbs (including the cage). When you arrive at the airport, your pet will be weighed in this con-tainer to check that it is within the maximum permissible weight. If your animal weighs more than 7kg/15 lbs (including the cage), it will travel in the hold,
They must travel in a closed soft bag that is approved for air travel or in a closed cage approved for air travel, the dimensions of which must not exceed 55 x 40 x 23 cm (21.54 x 15.54 x 9.05 in). During the flight, your pet is your responsibility, and must be kept in its container, which must be placed under your seat.
No more than one animal per cage.
Carrying pets in the hold
A fee of $81 / €70 per journey per animal is charged for carrying an animal in the hold.
You must fulfill all conditions listed in the following form. This document must be signed and presented at the airport on the day of departure :
To ensure that your pet has a comfortable journey, its travel cage must be properly aerated and be large enough to allow the animal to lie down, turn over and stand up (with its head upright). However, it must not be too large, so as to ensure that your pet is not harmed during handling of the cage.
The following information must be visibly displayed inside the cage: the name of the animal, its tattoo number, the full name, telephone number, home address and destination address of the owner.
The crate must be no bigger than 122 x 81 x 89 cm (L x W x H) :
A= length of animal from nose to root of tail
B= height from ground to elbow joint
C= width across shoulders
D= height of animal in standing position (top of head for pets with non-erect ears- from tip of ears for pets with erect ears
No more than one animal per cage.
If the crate does not meet the required standards, the animal will not be carried.
The weigh must be no more than 50 kg/110 lbs (gross weight animal and crate included). Derogations can be granted at the discretion of XL Airways up to 75 kg/165 lbs (animal and crate included).
For further details about service animals or emotional or psychiatric support animals, see here General Conditions of Carriage.
Service animals are accepted in the cabin free of charge and do not occupy a seat.
- For all flights except for flights to or from the United States, you must inform us 48 hours before departure of the flight and prove that his Service animal meets the following conditions : be trained to help you compensate for disability or pathology and hold traiging certificate in accordance with the legal provisions in force.
- For flights to or from the United States, you must inform us only if the flight exceeds 8 hours. Only then, you must notify the Carrier at least 48 hours before the flights, in particular to attest that your service animal will not need to relieve certificate itself or will be able to relieve itself without causing health issues.
XL Airways reserves the right to refuse the carriage of service animals if it reasonably believes that their health or safety or that of passengers or good sis not guaranteed or that they do not meet the applicable provisions.
Emotional or psychiatric support animals are only accepted for flights to or from the United States.
Emotional or psychiatric support animals may be accepted in the cabin if they do not exceed a certain weight or size (inquire directly with the carrier).
You must inform the Carrier 48 hours before the departure of the flight and provide the documents that are required by US regulation. In particular, you must provide a medical certificate of less than one year issued by an approved mental health professional who must specify the following :
- You suffer from a mental or emotional disability recogniez by the DSM-IV ;
- You need your animal for air transportation ;
- You are regularyly followed by the health professional who has written the medical certificate.
XL Airways reserves the right to refuse the carriage of emotional or psychiatric support animal if it reasonably believes that their health or safety or that of passengers or good sis not guaranteed or that they do not meet the applicable provisions.